Saturday, March 29, 2008

what's the word? boutonnier.

Afternoon in the PaliScmutz house. Too late, too late in the day to be still in bed, but nonetheless, that's where Schmutzie and Palinode are holing up.

SCHMUTZIE: When was the last time you saw a 45 single?

PALINODE: I had a 45 of Rio.

SCHMUTZIE: A friend gave me a 45 of Club Nouveau's "Word Up" in the eighties. He thought I'd like it.

PALINODE: I think that was Cameo.

SCHMUTZIE: Are you sure?

PALINODE: Cameo had the guy dancing in the red codpiece.

SCHMUTZIE: Oh god. I remember now.

PALINODE: In the video the cops were trying to arrest all the funk, but then the cops started dancing and choreographed anarchy reigned.

SCHMUTZIE: And what was the word that he kept asking about? It was Word Up.

PALINODE: ... that's two words.

SCHMUTZIE: The word's 'up'. Word up.

PALINODE: The guy in the red codpiece wants to know what 'the word' is, then he answers his own question with a phrase.

SCHMUTZIE: You know what I think? You don't ever find out what the word is. He never tells you.

A few seconds of contented silence.

PALINODE: I bet the word is 'boutonniere'.


*


INSTANT UPDATE: Pray for a quick death instead of a boutonniere finger?

4 comments:

i am the diva said...

i'm throwing my hands in the air, like i just don't care.

Bruce Johnson said...

I used to have quite a collection of 45s. The first one I ever got was Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles. I can't recall the last one I got....that is how old I am.

Anonymous said...

That last link was totally uncalled for.

Do you think it would be possible for you to call me prior to these conversations so I could drive up to your neck of the Canadian woods and listen in person? Would that be asking too much? Would that be weird?

I think it would be awesome.

Abigail Road said...

I have a jukebox full of 45's, and a pile of them in the living room. I am going to make them into bowls one day.