Saturday, May 19, 2007

the face

Lately I've been wondering about the face on my website.

It's just to the right of these words. Or in different circumstances, to the right and up. Way up.

That's my face. The one with the stubble and the severe expression. I'm starting to feel that it's too big. Not in real life, but on my site here. Why such a big ol' face for a weblog?

The problem is, it's looking directly at what I write with what I can only interpret as a disapproving glare. Why is my face such a harsh judge? Maybe I thought it would inspire me and push my writing to new levels. The truth is I'm scared to look at my blog now, with that face staring down my words. To compensate, I smile from my perpendicular vantage. But my parallel twin outlasts me.

One day I will replace that picture with something different, and then this entry will make no sense.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a harsh glare at all, rather more a squinty trying-to-make-sense of it look. Which is not particularly more encouraging, but ... well, don't be so hard on yourself, eh?

One of my favorite expressions is 'don't borrow trouble from tomorrow' - and in that vein, I'd say your perpendicular face doesn't need to borrow trouble from its mirror image.

Consider it squinting at life in general, and trying to make sense of it all. Isn't that ultimately what we're ALL trying to do?

--Viaggiatore (http://ifnotnowwhen.typepad.com)

Mr. Head said...

I sort of like it. It's striking against the white background and I always think it looks determined rather than squinty.

Abigail Road said...

It looks like you're disgusted with something. But, I like it. lol

Fishsticks said...

I think it depends what mood you are in when you look at it. Sometimes it makes me laugh because you look pissed off, other times it looks serious and reflexive.